Monday, September 1, 2008

My Life Has Changed......

My heart was pounding as I pulled my riding boots on. My fingers were sweating and I donned my HD vest. I went to the key rack and went through all the keys that we have had hanging for so many years, some keys we long since forgotten what they were for. I saw the HD key first and ran my trembling fingers across those black HD letters….the key to my new life. I then fumbled through the many keys to find the one to our shop across the yard. No not this one, not this one either, gosh…what is THIS one for? Ah ha!! There is the key. I swallowed hard, knowing that my next steps would be out the door to the shop which housed my 2008 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low Anniversary Edition. I bought this bike back in November and have put 415 miles on it. Well ok, so my husband put on about half of those…ok I said it. I had been waiting for the times my husband would come home from work to ride with him on his Heritage Softail Classic. Only thing is, my husband works out of town and does not come home but every other weekend. This made for some long times between riding as on some of those weekends we had other commitments and could not ride. It has just dawned on me that if I’m ever going to be a serious rider and get experience, then I’m going to have to ride it by myself much of the time. Besides, the thought of riding on my own without having to worry about someone watching me, or trying to keep up with their speed, going down roads that I choose to ride on, sounded very appealing.

I stuffed my drivers license, my credit card, my cell phone and my house keys in my pocket. Dang, I’m going to have to find another way to tote these things, I thought to myself. Then out the house I went.

With each step toward the shop, my heart beat faster and faster until I thought it would jump from my chest. Oh gosh, I can’t do this! What am I thinking of? What if something happens? Ok, well I’ll just at least go crank it up and see how that feels.

There she sat, all beautiful 1200 ccs of her black and copper glory. Sitting there as if to say, “What the heck you waiting for? This is why you bought me, isn’t it?” How could I argue?

So, I unhooked the battery tender, nice thing to remember don’t you think? I put the key in and unlocked the forks then put it in the ignition. Then I sat down. Yeah, it still feels good just like all the other times I sat on her. Ok, I’ll crank it up. Varroooommmm babooomm babooooommmmmmm, oh yeah, she still sounds good with slash cut mufflers and the Power commander I had installed. I put it in neutral and pondered how I would make the sharp turn and hump over the exit of the shop to get the heck outta there. Hmmmmm. I sat there……and sat there….and sat there, my heart pounding again and the smell of gas fumes getting the best of me. So I cut her off. I tried to walk it out of there, but the hump was too big so I cut it on, swallowed hard, eased the throttle and eased out the clutch and I was outta there! Stopped and got off and put the garage door back down.

Now you might wonder, what is all that special about all this? Well, I’m ashamed to say that every time I rode with my husband, he got it out of the shop and brought it to our driveway all ready to ride. And I let him spoil me this way. Only thing was, I was doing myself a great disservice by this. So now I’ve already reached a milestone before even getting out of my drive!

I eased up to the edge of the road and off I went! Hey, so far so good. I rode down a road that has very little traffic. Oh man, here I am alone on the highway with my bike!!! The feeling of exhilaration that overcame me is indescribable! I’m free….blasting off on my bike all alone….shifting gears ever so smoothly and feeling the power beneath me. (I’m good at gears, I have a stick shift car, ha!!) Then onto the main highway I went. I felt sooo comfortable pulling up to stop signs and taking off, so much more as I was on my own. I don’t know, I just felt like no one was watching me and I was free.

I rode on the two lane road, turned off, went down many, many back roads, then my gas light came on. Ohhhh….I’ve never gotten gas by myself before with my bike. Went into our little bitty town and drove up to the gas pump. A very busy store. I got lots of smiles, surprised looks and so on. I’d never pumped the gas in my bike myself and of course I overflowed it getting gas on my tank. I walked to the other pumps trying to find a paper towel dispenser with no luck. A man said “what are you looking for?” I told him and he tried unsuccessfully to find one for me. So I said that was ok, I’ll just smell like gas! Thanked him anyway. I cranked her up again, realizing I had not cut the bike off completely and the lights had been on the whole time. Oh well, a lesson for the future. A car was in front of me and I didn’t want to back out, so I waited….and waited. Seeing that it might be awhile, I decided I would go around to the other side, which was a small space. But I did it and did it well I thought and I was off again! I rode down some more back roads and got onto the busy 4 lane, which I have ridden many times before. After awhile I got bored with the straight ahead driving and turned down a county road and made the way with lots of turns back to my home.

I turned into the drive, got off, opened the garage and drove that puppy in there over the hump and all without any problem. I cut her off, and backed her back into the space beside our Heritage where I got her from. I put the battery tender back on, patted her and made my way back into my house. Only the person that walked backed to the house is not the same person that walked out of the house to the shop where my bike is. She’s changed. She’s a woman that knows she can ride her own ride, live her own life, dream her own dreams with or without someone riding right beside her. I am liberated.

This is such a significant milestone for me, especially as my life is taking on a new frontier as I sent my youngest girl off to college 2 weeks ago.

Now riding with my husband will be so much more comfortable now that I had some alone time with my bike. I can’t explain the reason I feel this way, but I do. I do know one thing though, I will never hesitate to go it alone again and plan on doing much riding alone and with my husband.

On my journey with my bike, I got so many smiles and waves from so many people. Men mowing their yards, in front of me, women in the cars with their men, just so many and I was so proud of myself.

I rode 58 miles alone today. The most important 58 miles of my life…….

(I wrote this this past Friday)

2 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations Rhonda! You've jumped back into the blogging world with some great stories! ALMOST, makes me want to learn to ride. But not much chance of that! I'm not that brave. But I still admire those who do. I can't wait to read about your next ride. Way to go, girl! We're going to the Smokies again next week and will be traveling some of those same roads. Just hope no hurricane gets in our way! Happy Riding!

Rhonda and Allyn said...

Hi Janet, thanks for your reply. I'm kinda late replying because I've been side tracked. Have ridden about another 178 miles since I posted this story. Did you get to the Smokies?

Rhonda

 

Web Site Hit Counters
Digital Camera Discounts